How to Make Pressed Flowers
Create your own pressed flowers! You can use them for drawings, or make birthday cards or cool bookmarks with them. Get creative and be sure to send us pictures of what you’ve done!
All you will need is:
- fresh flowers (the more colourful, the better)
- heavy hardcover books
Be careful not to pick any wild or indigenous flowers! Lets aim to protect our country’s natural beauty. Rather pick flowers from your own garden.
What to do:
- Pick flowers when they are at the peak of health if possible. If the flowers are wet, allow them to air dry before pressing.
- Place each flower separately between two pieces of plain white paper or tissue paper and leave at least a 3 cm border on all four sides of the flower.
- Place the enveloped flower in the middle of a heavy hardcover book such as an encyclopaedia.
- Place more heavy hardcover books on top of the pressing book and leave them to sit for at least two weeks.
- At the end of the two weeks, check to see if the flowers are flat and dry. If not, place them back in the book between fresh pieces of paper and check them again in a few days. Remove the flowers when they are completely dry.